HTAi is seeking candidates for Latin America Policy Forum Chair
The Latin America Policy Forum provides a key networking opportunity for those involved in the different sectors, members of the HTAi Board, and invited international experts. The meeting revolves around strategic discussions about the present state of HTA: its development and implications for health care systems, industry, patients, and other stakeholders with specific relevance to the region.
The current Latin America Policy Forum Chair’s term of office ends in June 2020; HTAi is now seeking to appoint a highly skilled and experienced successor. Successful candidates must have the trust of, and credibility among, both the international HTA agencies and health technology companies. The Latin America Policy Forum Chair is a paid position.
Roles and responsibilities
- Provide active leadership of the Latin America Policy Forum through Chairing meetings of the Latin America Policy Forum, the Latin America Policy Forum Organizing Committee, project team meetings, member recruitment and selection activity, and other meetings as required. The Chair will focus on the identification of pertinent and relevant policy topics for the region and develop innovative ways to encourage networking and discussion sessions as the Forum.
- Steer the content of the scientific materials and the meeting, working closely with the Scientific Secretary to guide the development of the background paper, meeting content and subsequent journal article. The Chair will have responsibility for signing off on materials that are produced by the Latin America Policy Forum.
- Develop relationships with HTA agency and government leaders in the region and industry partners. Identify ways to build new relationships and stabilizing and strengthen existing relationships.
- Following appointment, work closely with the current Chair to develop understanding of the work of the Forum and the activity that supports it. The Chair-elect will attend as observer for the 2020 Forum (27-28 April 2020 in Brasilia, Brazil), then take the lead in the development of the topic and agenda for the 2021 meeting from July 2020 onwards. The term is for 3 years and includes Chairing the 2021, 2022 and 2023 Latin America Policy Forum meetings.
The duties of the Chair are expected to take a suitably qualified and experienced person on average one day per week. This includes attending, in person, the Latin America Policy Forum each year in late April.
In selecting a Chair for the Latin America Policy Forum, a candidate is sought who meets the following criteria:
- Has a clear understanding of the rationale for, and work of, the Latin America Policy Forum;
- Has an excellent understanding of HTA used in decision-making, relevant health policy issues
and respect for the perspectives of all Policy Forum stakeholders;
- Is professionally connected to and has professional experience working with wide regional and/or
international networks of relevant private and public sector stakeholders;
- Is preferably from the region. In addition, the candidate must be fluent in Spanish and English
(verbal and written);
- Is a thoughtful facilitator who seeks to draw in all stakeholders, keep discussions on track and
develop policy relevant conclusions;
- Has scientific writing skills and can take responsibility for signing off all outputs from the Forum;
- Can command the respect of Policy Forum and HTAi members from all sectors;
- Will undertake the role independently of their employer’s organization and sector of involvement
in HTA, and will declare and be prepared to mitigate conflicts of interest as appropriate; and,
- Has the capacity, including time allotment and professional capacity, to undertake the role.
Any HTAi member who feels they meet the selection criteria may apply for the position with the recommendation of an HTAi Latin American Policy Forum member or HTAi Board member. HTAi Latin American Policy Forum members can apply without other nomination. Any HTAi Board Director who wishes to apply must take account of the conflict of interest policy and be prepared to demit office as a Director.
For more information on this role, including selection process, compensation, submission deadline, and additional criteria, please click here.
For more information on the HTAi Policy Forum series, including Global Policy Forum, Asia Policy Forum, and Latin America Policy Forum, please click here.