The Global Policy Forum revolves around strategic discussions about the present state of HTA: its development and implications for healthcare systems, industry, patients, and other stakeholders. The Forum also provides key networking opportunities for those involved in different sectors, members of the HTAi Board, and invited international experts.
The current term of office for the Global Policy Forum Chair ends in July 2024. To leave ample time for the incoming Chair to shadow the current Chair, we are now accepting applications for Global Policy Forum Chair for the 2025-2027 term.
We are seeking highly skilled and experienced candidates for the Global Policy Forum Chair position. Please note, this is a paid position. Successful candidates must have the trust of and credibility among both the international HTA agencies and health technology companies.
About the position
The Global Policy Forum Chair term length is three (3) years. This can be renewed for another three-year term without a call being opened for a maximum term of six (6) consecutive years of service. After at least three years has passed since serving a term of six consecutive years, the individual may apply again with the rules described above.
Roles and responsibilities of the Chair
Working closely with the HTAi Board, the Global Policy Forum Scientific Secretary, and HTAi Secretariat, in accordance with clearly documented and agreed scientific and administrative processes and timelines, the Chair will:
- Provide active leadership of the Policy Forum through Chairing the Policy Forum, the Policy Forum Organizing Committee (PFOC), project team meetings, member recruitment, topic selection activity, and other meetings as required. In particular, the Chair will focus on the identification of pertinent and relevant policy topics and develop innovative ways to encourage networking and discussion sessions at the Forum;
- Steer the content of the scientific materials and the meeting, working closely with the Scientific Secretary and the PFOC to guide the development of the background paper, meeting content, subsequent journal article and any other related material. The Chair will have responsibility for signing off on materials that are produced;
- Develop relationships with HTA agencies, government leaders and industry partners. Identify ways to build new relationships and stabilize and strengthen existing relationships;
- Following appointment, work closely with the current Chair to develop an understanding of the work of the Forum and the activity that supports it. The Chair-elect will attend as observer for the upcoming Forum;
- Attend and provide updates and feedback from Forum meetings at the Policy Forum Advisory Committee meeting (4 times per year);
- Attend HTAi Board meetings on request.
The duties of the Chair are expected to take a suitably qualified and experienced person on average one day per week per year (recognizing there are busier times).
NOTE: The Global Policy Forum Chair will be evaluated annually, in accordance with the Policy Forum Chair Evaluation Procedure
- Compensation is an honorarium for deliverables across a 12-month period;
- Economy air fare, accommodation (standard room, equal to the number of days of the event plus one additional night for travel), and other reasonable travel related expenses to attend meetings of the Global Policy Forum and HTAi Annual Meeting will be covered by HTAi, in accordance with the HTAi travel and expense policy.
The HTAi Policy Forum Chair should be a highly skilled and experienced Chair who has the trust of, and credibility amongst, both the international and/or regional HTA agencies and industry partners.
In selecting a Policy Forum Chair, a candidate is sought who meets the following criteria:
- Has an excellent understanding of HTA used in decision-making, relevant health policy issues and respect for the perspective of all Policy Forum stakeholders;
- Is professionally connected to and has professional experience working with wide regional and/or international networks of relevant private and public sector stakeholders;
- Is a thoughtful facilitator who seeks to draw in all stakeholders, keep discussions on track and at a strategic level, and develops policy relevant conclusions;
- Has scientific writing and excellent presentation skills;
- Has the capacity, including time allotment and professional capacity, to undertake the role for the length of the term.
Any HTAi member who feels they meet the selection criteria may apply for the position with the recommendation of a Policy Forum member or HTAi Board member. Policy Forum members can apply without other nomination.
How to Apply
The HTAi Secretariat will organize the Policy Forum Chair selection process. Applications for the role of Chair should be submitted to the HTAi Secretariat in English, including the following details:
- A brief CV (no more than 2 pages) highlighting experience relevant to the Global Policy Forum;
- A letter (no more than 1 page) describing why they should be considered for the position of Chair;
- Statement that if selected they will:
- Serve as Chair for three years and have capacity for the full term to serve as Chair (note: this is, on average, one day per week per year (recognizing there are busier times), and includes international travel; those in full time employment should indicate that they have discussed with their employer who is supportive in principle;
- Shadow the activities of the current Chair (including attending team calls, PFOC meetings, the upcoming Global Policy Forum and any other Global Policy Forum related meetings);
- Attend HTAi Board meetings upon request;
- Attend and provide updates and feedback at PFAC meetings (4 times per year);
- Attend the Global Policy Forum (held annually) for the length of their term;
- Name the Policy Forum member or HTAi Board member recommending them for the position (if applicable – see above).
All applications must be received by 23:59 MDT (UTC-6) on Tuesday, July 4, 2023. Applications must be sent via email to [email protected]. Any queries regarding the application process must be directed towards the Policy Forum Secretariat via the email address provided above.
The selection process is as follows:
- The appointment panel will review all applications and select the most suitable candidates based on the selection criteria stated above to form a shortlist.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a telephone interview.
- Following interview, the appointment panel will make a recommendation to the HTAi Board of Directors regarding the preferred candidate.
- Candidates will be informed of the outcome of the application process prior to public announcement.
Thank you to our outgoing Chair
Dr. Dan Ollendorf’s term as Global Policy Forum Chair will conclude after the 2024 Global Policy Forum in San Diego, USA. We would like to thank Dan for his endless contributions to the Forum and look forward to his ongoing collaborations as a member of the Society.